Saturday 16 January 2016

Moody Hexies 2016

The Mood Blanket, it was pretty popular last year, so I realise I'm a little bit behind. Also it's supposed to be a year blanket and we're halfway through January! Whoops! I never was one for good time keeping!

Anyway, Donna, the owner at my local yarn store has started a mood blanket this year and is trying to get customers and friends involved with the project. There are no rules, any colours, any shapes, just keep it up through out the year and most importantly share with others.
You can have a look at their website here or follow Donna's progress over on her Facebook page, click here to see.

The shop is a stockist for Bergere de France yarns and they have a beautiful range of yarns and colours. I've decided to use Ideal. A DK weight yarn, 40% wool, 30% acrylic and 30% polymide. It's a super soft yarn and comes in loads of stunning colours.

These are the colours I have chosen,

From left to right,
Parot, Vitamine, Girolle, Citronnier, Emeraude, Calanque, Purple, Hortensia and Elephant.

So, how does the mood blanket work? Well, each colour is linked to a mood, emotion or feeling. Each day, or when you feel up to it, you make a motif that represents your mood, simple.

These are my colours and their represented mood.
Parot - annoyed/angry
Vitamine - worried
Girolle - excited/looking forward to...
Citronnier - happy
Emeraude - normal
Calanque - low
Purple - creative
Hortensia - Super Dooper!
Elephant - exhausted

So that's the colours chosen, the moods sorted, now just to choose a pattern.

I knew I wanted to try something new, not just your regular granny square. I wanted something a little more solid, but decorative and not too big.

I tried out four different styles,

Top left, a solid granny square, three rounds.
Top right, a granny hexagon, three rounds
Bottom left, a flower hexagon, three rounds and
Bottom right, a vintage flower granny square, four rounds.

I was pretty pleased with them all. The vintage flower granny square was a little too big for this project, but I thought several joined together would make a nice cushion. (I'll keep that in mind for the future.)
The solid granny square was good too, but not as decorative as I was looking for.
I loved the shape of the granny hexagon. This was the first time I'd made a hexagon and I was impressed, but was it too similar to a granny square?
Then there was the flower hexagon. Yep, this was the one. Interesting shape, decorative, easy to make and just the right size.

So all decisions made, Bergere de France Ideal yarn in chosen colours, moods picked and matched to a colour and pattern tried and tested, the flower hexagon. Now time to put it all in the Crochet Project Bible.

Right, all sorted, now time to start. How am I feeling today?

I'll keep you up to date each month with how this project is going. I would love to know if anyone else is doing a mood blanket this year or a different type of year long blanket.
Happy crocheting everyone
x

2 comments:

  1. Love this idea Hannah......another one for me to add to my to do list. Have used Bergere deFrance yarns before and they are lovely. Looks like this will be a busy start to the year 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link Hannah, much appreciated. I LOVE your colours. Ideal is totally delicious to work with isn't it?

    ReplyDelete