Thursday 11 February 2016

You Can Folk It!


You may remember from my last post I briefly spoke about my new found love of the company Folk It! And the art of folk painting.


Well, Folk It! Are a British company that have devised many kits, using simple techniques, to create beautiful pieces of work.
Painting is often a hobby that people shy away from. I was the same, I thought it would be too difficult, that it couldn't be as easy as it looked, that I wasn't that great at drawing, so I wouldn't be able to do it. How wrong was I?

Each kit comes with an instruction booklet, with great, clear written instructions and pictures. But as well as the booklet, each kit has a DVD, and it's excellent.

I started with the Starter kit (a good place to start!) this kit uses dots to make different patterns. Before starting I had a good look through the box to see what goodies were inside. I set my laptop up on the craft table and watched the DVD. I watched it all the way through once first, so I had a bit of an understanding of what I was going to do and, hopefully, achieve. Next I got all the kit out of the box and collected the few other household items I needed. I was ready! 

I started the DVD again and followed along. 
Like I said this particular kit teaches you to use a dotting tool to create patterns. I used my practice paper to complete one of each design. I was pretty impressed with my results for a first time!




The DVD also teaches you how to prepare the project you are going to work on, in this case an MDF heart. Again I joined along with the DVD.


I was feeling confident after my practice pieces, so I started straight away. I decided upon the rose design for this little hanging heart decoration. This time I used the instruction booklet, just for reference, it's such a simple system I remembered it quite easily. Here is the finished decoration.


After this I chose a different design for the square of mount board that also comes in the kit. This time I chose the daisy design,


This little piece of art is now on display on a little wooden easel that I bought in one of the shops where everything costs a pound!

That was it, I had the bug, I was addicted! I started looking round the house for things that I could 'folk'. Then I spotted it. A little shelf unit of my mum's. It was looking a bit tired, already pretty vintage looking, ideal to be 'folked'.
Here it is before,


Now here it is after,


After this I decided to make some Christmas presents. Some little MDF drawer units.




In the new year I bought myself a new kit. This time the vintage daisy. This kit also had a DVD, so I did the same again. This time I was taugh the comma stroke, rather than the dots. Again I practiced several times. Don't be put off, this might be painting with an actual brush, but it's very simple.



This kit also comes with a hanging heart decoration. After my practices I once again felt confident enough to work straight onto my project.


I also used the daisy design to make my Mum's birthday card.


And I have plenty more ideas in mind! 
If you like the look of what I have achieved and would like to have a go, then check out the Folk It! Website by clicking here

Have fun xx


No comments:

Post a Comment